Thursday 3 November 2011

Temples and Colour :: Kathmandu, Nepal


It's been over 6 years since I was in Kathmandu last. Everything is still the same except for the abundance of free wi fi and travellers with an assortment of apple products to keep them entertained.

As technology moves forward in great strides I am sorry to say that infrastructure and building repairs and maintenance have not. It is quite sad to see such beautiful old crafted temples and building architecture covered in so much dust from the smog and some are literally crumbling away. 

However, under a blanket of city dust there is still a rainbow of vibrant colours, fabrics and textures, beautiful timber carved windows and amazing architecture.
Coloured cotton fabric

Carnations everywhere

Temple architecture

One of the many things I remember from Nepal is their amazing carved timber windows

Some interesting forms of scaffolding and structural support!

Please bare with me as from tomorrow I will be trekking around the Annapurna Circuit and then the Sanctuary for 3 to 4 weeks and will be without any form communication until I return. 

On this trek I will encounter remote villages and homes that are still without mains electricity or mains water. It will be interesting to see how these villages live without basic infrastructure that we all take for granted today. 

Have fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment